During the 19th century, this sun-filled, shingle-sided beach house in Scituate’s Minot neighborhood was home to surfmen and rescue boats from the US Life-Saving Service, the forerunner to today’s US Coast Guard. Today, the house has a sun-splashed living room with planked flooring, 10-foot ceilings, and a fireplaced living room.
Pictured: The exterior of the house at 39 Surfside Road in Scituate.
Circa 1886, this 3,033 square foot property has five bedrooms, two full bathrooms and one partial, and is listed at $1,925,000.
A plaque pays homage to the property’s former function as a life-saving station.
A view of the side entrance to the house.
A fireplace has been added to the living room, which has ocean views that stretch from Minot Light to Scituate Light.
The house has a small kitchen with high-end appliances and an eating area. The kitchen connects to the former mess hall.
The former mess hall is now a dining room with nautical wainscoting and a chandalier.
Adjacent to the living room is the former keeper’s private quarters, now a sitting room with a fireplace.
The second-floor master has double closets and a private bath.
One of four children’s bedrooms in the house. Each bedroom varies in size.
One of the children’s bedrooms.
Another children’s bedroom.
A vintage photo of the US Life-Saving Service crew who once occupied the former station.
In the 19th century when the property was still a life-saving station, scenes like this one were probably a familiar sight.
An old photograph of the house at 39 Surfside Road in Scituate. An observation tower was once adjacent to the property.
An old photograph captures a view of the former boat room.
A mahogany and cedar deck, some grass, and a breakwall lie between the house and the private beach.
A view of the property’s backyard, looking into the living room.
The house features an exterior shower (seen here on the right)