The days for a South Boston home with a grisly past that James “Whitey” Bulger deemed “The Haunty” may be numbered.
A demolition application for 799 East Third St. is pending before the Boston Landmarks Commission as its owner seeks “to make way for a new 4 unit townhouse style development with 8 garaged parking spots,” the filing says.
The city’s Zoning Board of Appeal approved the changes at the property, which currently contains a structure dating back to 1885, on Oct. 8, records show. The application was filed with the commission on Nov. 29.
The request comes months after the property was put up for sale in July with an asking price of $3.5 million amid City Point’s hotbed real estate market.
The latest listing on Redfin.com shows a slightly lower price tag of $3,395,000 for the two-unit structure and says the property is currently under agreement.
Photos show a bright, modern interior — visible changes in the three decades since the home was a post for Bulger’s gang, back when it was owned by Pat Nee, an associate of the infamous gangster in the early 1980s.
In those days, the basement had a dirt floor, used to bury three of Bulger’s victims there before the house was sold in 1985, Kevin J. Weeks said while testifying during Bulger’s racketeering trial in 2013.
Arthur “Bucky” Barrett, John McIntyre, and Deborah Hussey were all killed there by Bulger, according to Weeks.
Barrett, a safecracker and bar owner, was shot and killed after he was chained and interrogated at the house in 1983, Weeks said. McIntyre was killed after he told authorities about one of Bulger’s gang’s efforts to shop guns to the Irish Republican Army, and Bulger strangled Hussey, the daughter of Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi’s girlfriend, in 1985.
Their bodies were exhumed on Halloween that year and later reburied in Dorchester when the house was about to be sold, Weeks said.
Last year, Bulger died at age 89 in prison after he was beaten to death.
The property, currently valued at $899,100 by the city’s Assessing Department, is listed as a “9,766 sq ft sellable building area in PRIME SOUTHIE location between O & P Streets.”
There are two attached houses with a six-car driveway on the parcel. The architectural plans approved by the ZBA, land survey, and renderings are all included in the sale, according to the listing.
The Landmarks Commission has 10 calendar days to determine whether the property is considered significant.
If it is deemed “not significant,” staff can sign off on the demolition. Otherwise, a longer process, including a public hearing, will begin.
As of Wednesday morning, the commission had not yet made a determination.