Sites

Demolition of South Boston home where 3 of Whitey Bulger’s victims were killed and buried can proceed, officials say

News South Boston
799 East Third St. is the home where three victims of James "Whitey" Bulger's gang were buried in the basement. Suzanne Kreiter/Globe Staff

The history of a South Boston home with ties to James “Whitey” Bulger may be notorious, but that’s not enough to halt a wrecking ball from tearing it down.

After a review process, the Boston Landmarks Commission found on Friday that the house at 799 East Third St. is “not significant,” allowing demolition to proceed.

The commission received an application seeking permission to dismantle the structure, which dates back to 1885, on Nov. 29 as its owner seeks to “make way for a new 4-unit townhouse style development with 8 garaged parking spots,” the filing says.

In October, the city’s Zoning Board of Appeal signed off on the changes, three months after the property was put on the market.

The latest listing on Redfin.com shows a price tag of $3,395,000 for the two-unit house and indicates the property is currently under agreement.

In the early 1980s, the home was owned by Pat Nee, one of Bulger’s associates.

During Bulger’s racketeering trial in 2013, Kevin J. Weeks testified that Bulger killed three people there, and that they were buried in the then dirt-floor basement: Arthur “Bucky” Barrett, John McIntyre, and Deborah Hussey.

Their bodies were exhumed in 1985 when the house was about to be sold and later reburied in Dorchester, Weeks said.

Bulger was beaten to death in prison last year at age 89.